Friday, October 26, 2012

Want to Play a Game?

Today, I have a game!

Now, it's nothing fancy in the slightest, but it will be fun, and a bit gross.

The rules are simple, just look at the images below, and try to guess what it's a picture of. Easy right? Maybe not...these are images taken with an Electron Microscope. Meaning that it could be anything bigger than a DNA strand....so good luck! The answer will be listed under each image, so no peeking!

 
A microcrack in a sheet of steel


A house dust mite (Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus). Millions of dust mites inhabit the home, feeding on shed skin cells. They mainly live in furniture, and are usually harmless. However, their excrement and dead bodies may cause allergic reactions in susceptible people. Thought your house was clean didn't you?


 A human hair...with a split end. Yes ladies, this is what our split ends look like up close!


A Human artery, and blood cells that run through it. 


A human head louse, commonly called head lice, clinging to a hair.


The surface of a strawberry. 


Fimbriae of a Fallopian tube. These beautiful tissues gently cradle and sweep your egg to the Fallopian tube.


 Household dust which includes long hairs such as cat fur, twisted synthetic and woolen fibers, serrated insect scales, a pollen grain, plant and insect remains.


 Cigarette paper


Eyelash hairs growing from the surface of human skin. If you look closely at the base of some of the hairs, you can see the tail end of eyelash mites sticking out from the base. These mites live on almost everyone,  and feed off your dead skin cells. Best part? They don't poo!


 A clutch of unidentified butterfly eggs on a raspberry plant.


 Bacteria on the surface of a human tongue. Did you brush your tongue today?


 The nylon hooks and loops of velcro.


Toilet Paper!


 The head of a maggot of a bluebottle fly (Protophormia sp.) with tiny teeth-like fangs extending from its mouth. The maggots of this fly are used medicinally to clean wounds. The maggots are sterilised and placed in the wound, where they feed on dead tissue and leave healthy tissue untouched. Their saliva contains anti- bacterial chemicals which maintain sterility in the area. Maggots are used on ulcers and deep wounds away from organs or body cavities, most often being used to treat diabetic ulcers on the feet.


A human nerve ending.


Snowflakes 

Wan't that interesting? I hope you enjoyed that as much as I did...and remember, a little bit of gross and weird in your day never hurt anyone. It just makes life more interesting.

Love and Lightning Bugs,
  Photobucket

28 comments:

Hobbies on a Budget said...

Eyelash mites? head lice? and fallopian tubes? These range from completely gross to really amazing! What was your inspiration for this post? That was really cool in a random sort of way! Thanks for taking the time to find these images!

Melissa P Vosburgh said...

Interesting. My favorite is the snowflakes and human nerve ending... could go the rest of my life without seeing the maggot again hahaa :)

Unknown said...

I love Science! And I'm so nerdy in life, I thought it would be fun to share that nerdiness, and show why Science can be awesome!

Unknown said...

Haha! I threw him in for the gross factor!

Jessica said...

Okay I'll admit this IS cool but grossed me out so bad. haha!!

Jesica H said...

I love science, since I'm a science teacher after all, lol. Great pics, thanks for sharing!

Katrina said...

Cool! Some were a little gross though.

Brr23 said...

LOL Gross! But I will give you fun for sure! I didn't get a single one right lol.

Unknown said...

Very cool! I loved looking at these. Thanks for sharing.

Mama Chocolate said...

Very cool! Loved it.

Unknown said...

yikes. What crazy pictures.

Julia Potvin said...

Great pic's., and fun post...but your right some were a little gross...LOL!

Unknown said...

So of these are amazing, some were just creepy but I loved them all!

Gluten Free for Jen said...

I love photos like those! Thank you for sharing!

Mm said...

That was a great post. I love looking at stuff like that even though I am grossed out a bit. I will live. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I am going to have to show this to my son when he gets home. He is gonna love it.

Cheap Is The *New* Classy said...

These pictures are VERY cool but the maggot was gross! Lol!

Dawn
www.cheapisthenewclassy.com

Meghan @ Crazy Casa K said...

Super cool - loved the snowflake!

Kimberly Storms said...

Where did you get these? I love the top of Fallopian tube one that looks like rose petals!

Marieesbella said...

Haha my kids would really enjoy this post! Thanks for sharing :)

DeDa Studios said...

Amazing pics!

Unknown said...

The strawberry kind of weirded me out. But that household dust looks like a party :D

Unknown said...

These are all sooooo cool! Even the maggot! lol
Thanks for all the great info!

Couponing for Freebies said...

How fun! I have to say I only got 2 right lol!

Unknown said...

Thanks! That was really cool :).

Kimberly Storms said...

Who took these photos?

Pamela @ Still Dating My Spouse said...

I really was looking for a game LOL this was really interesting....

Pamela @ Still Dating My Spouse

Unknown said...

Haha. Showed this to the kids and they were so grossed out. Lol