Saturday, August 25, 2012

College, Not A Walk In The Park

College has once again started, so my posting may become quite erratic, but I'm going to write as much as possible!

The first full week of classes has finished, and I can already tell this will be one lousy Semester for Bastian and myself.

On Monday, our very first day of classes, we did our normal routine and went through the McDonald's Drive-Thru for some quick breakfast and a Coke. BAD IDEA. Bastian noticed the car was over heating a bit, so he parked it, and went to add fluid to the tank. However, neither one of us must have been fully awake, because we left the car running, causing coolant to explode out of the car. That in turn caused the Drive Belt to get so slick it flew off, and broke our main Oil Sensor. Great start to the morning.

So, since we were stranded until we could get the part, we had to walk to the nearest parts store that actually had the item in stock. That was a 3 mile walk to the store, and a 3 mile walk back. Once we got the part installed, and the car in driving order, low and behold, one of our tires was flat. We limped it to the nearest air pump, about 100 feet away luckily, and filled it up. By this point it was 10 a.m., and we had missed two classes already, with another 20 minute drive ahead of us before we even reached the campus, we knew we would miss the next class as well. Needless to say, we only made our last class that day; Dairy Cattle Management.

After class, we were greeted by the same front tire being flat again, so we put on a donut, and limped over to Firestone, who refused to fix the tire, and Wal-Mart, which also refused to fit it with a patch kit. With an annoyed and exasperated grumble, we drove the normal hour home, except it was now stretched out to two, since we had to use the donut. Thankfully, we had a spare at home.

Ah, but Wednesday, we had our first real taste of the full schedule, and it left us exhausted. Not only did we have a very heavy workload, our actual classes are situated in the craziest way possible. We have to walk from one side of campus, all the way to the other, then back to the far side. Did I mention we have 5 minutes to walk all the way across campus, which spans a couple miles? Whew, fun stuff! On top of that, the packet we needed for our Accounting class was out of stock, so we had to be put on a waiting list, and hope it came in later that didn't. So, we had to drive up to school on Thursday just to pick up our packets, so we could do the homework for our Accounting class.

And we've come to the bane of my existence this Semester; Accounting. Not only do we have assigned seating, oh no, the professor is so OCD he made fill in the blank notes, and specifies exactly how each assignment should be put together, right down to the format, where the staples are allowed to be, how many you can use, and the amount of tape allowed to overlap over any portion. Yeah...this class is going to be my least favorite of the Semester, for sure.

Love and Lightning Bugs,


Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are off to a blazing start. If I ever get back to school I'm going to limit myself to 4 to 6 sessions a week.

MikiHope said...

I think to be a great high paid accountant you have to be OCD-it comes with the territory--that is why I stuck to bookkeeping!!

Lil' Daily Deals said...

Maybe the rough start will end with a smooth finish :)

Katrina said...

I remember having to walk from one end of campus to the other too but our campus was much smaller. Sorry about your car troubles. Hope you have better luck the rest of the semester!

Patty A said...

Sounds like a lot of trouble.