Friday, September 28, 2012

Living Like It's Your Last Day

I think we've all heard the song, "Live Like You Were Dying". Many people I know say they live everyday to the fullest, to make life worth it. But the question is, do you really live like each day is possibly your last?

Sure, it's easy to go out and do the things you want and have a good time...but what are you really leaving behind for those who will remember you?  What do you want to actually be remembered for? What will your last words be?

Lately, these things have been running through my mind, and to be honest, I'm not unhappy with what I've left behind me in life so far. I want to be remembered for being kind and polite, for loving and caring for animals, for being patient and gentle, and for generally being a good person. I would love for those who live after me to remember me for all the good things I did and said in life, and not for the angry outbursts or mean words uttered without thought.

So I'm being more patient in my day-to-day goings on, taking my time when responding to people who might irk me, and perpetuate drama for the sake of it. And even on the various social media outlets I have, like Facebook and Twitter, I'm not ranting or posting nonsense too much. Why go through all this trouble of monitoring my social media, and editing myself? I visited the profile of an old friend on Facebook earlier, only to find out he was recently killed in a car accident. His last status update?
"I hate my family. And that bitch who cheated on me can rot in fucking hell. I don't need anyone in my life. I hate my Mom, I hate my Dad, and I hate my baby sister. I don't need anyone anymore."
Those are his last words, as he was struck and killed only 20 minutes later. His family will be turning his account into a memorial, as so often happens nowadays, and this will forever be the first things people see when they look him up. His last, angry, hurtful words, that he can never take back. THIS is the reason I will never again be posting in anger...I don't want my mother to ever have to see these words, let alone have to see them every time she comes to my Facebook profile.

So think on it, dear readers...what could your last words be? What will people remember you for? I'll leave you with a passage from a wonderful book, A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote

"My, how foolish I am!" my friend cries, suddenly alert, like a woman remembering too late she has biscuits in the oven. "You know what I've always thought?" she asks in a tone of discovery and not smiling at me but a point beyond. "I've always thought a body would have to be sick and dying before they saw the Lord. And I imagined that when he came it would be like looking at the Baptist window: pretty as colored glass with the sun pouring through, such a shine you don't know it's getting dark. And it's been a comfort: to think of that shine taking away all the spooky feeling. But I'll wager it never happens. I'll wager at the very end a body realizes the Lord has already shown Himself. That things as they are"—her hand circles in a gesture that gathers clouds and kites and grass and Queenie pawing earth over her bone—"just what they've always seen, was seeing Him. As for me, I could leave the world with today in my eyes."

Love and Lightning Bugs,
  Photobucket

24 comments:

Hobbies on a Budget said...

Wow! I try to live on purpose every day but this is powerful! What a way to live life! Thanks for the reminder!

Kathryn Costa said...

Thanks for that! I need to pass this on to some of my family members.

Mama Luvs Books said...

Words are strong. Posting in anger can never be good. Sad story.

Unknown said...

This makes me think about what I say and how I word it on facebook from now on. I'm not usually mean per se, but my sarcasm can burn sometimes. I'm going to have to review everything before hitting "submit" from now on.

Unknown said...

Wow, what a moving post! I always love visiting your page. Thanks for sharing this.

Holly (Woman Tribune) said...

Being more patient in your day-to-day life is a very noble goal, and I hope you can keep that in mind even when you're angry or upset. It's so hard to get a grip on yourself during those times, as we see with the last status update of that old friend of yours. I too have seen Facebook and Twitter updates of those who had died unexpectedly to see that their last updates, the last thoughts and words that they left with the world were not so great. It's unfortunate, but definitely gives the living something to ponder, as you have here.

Char W. said...

People definitely need to slow down these days and think. You never know what tomorrow will bring.

Amanda Tempel said...

Oh, wow. That's so sad :( - I couldn't imagine having that be one of the last things my family remembered about me. I never say anything like that to my family, sometimes I get upset or mad at them, and I let them know why. But I could never say anything like that.

MamaMunky said...

I think everyone should read this. Everyone on the planet!

Coupons and Friends said...

That's so sad...

Brr23 said...

This post hits a lot of things on the head for me. I have made mistakes and lost my way on my path on and off. The nice thing is I know a lot of people remember me for the good things I did not the few mistakes I've made. This post does make me want to try harder though!

Gluten Free for Jen said...

I have been thinking a lot about this lately too. But from a different perspective. As a mom and wife I sometimes wonder if I am doing enough. Spending enough time with my kids and my husband. I took last weekend off because of that and this week I am only on when they are gone/asleep. Things come at you in full force that you have to say "ok I hear ya"

Mm said...

Great post. One of the best I have read lately. Love stopping by your blog.

Bobbie//Rebelle said...

Amazing post and I am so glad I stopped by to read it. There is a lot of people I know that need to read it.

Tara said...

Wonderful post. I'm seriously heart broken for your friend's family, but I'm sure they know that everyone says things in moments of anger that they don't mean.
Never miss the opportunity to tell someone you love them, because tomorrow may just be too late.

Lesley said...

Wonderful post! Thank you for sharing. This is important for everyone to read.

Cheap Is The *New* Classy said...

Wow. We really should think more about what we say {and write}. We never know when the end will come. So sad.

Dawn
www.cheapisthenewclassy.com

Coupons In Motion said...

So true! We need to be careful what we say and how we say it. And that's not easy.

Sandra R said...

What I'm leaving behind is my daughter and she knows I love her. That's the most important thing. She will always remember I was a teen mom who had an easy way out and took the high way out! :)

Lil' Daily Deals said...

Very well put. To often people do not realize words can hurt. I am hoping to leave behind something similar. Children that knew I loved them so much my heart ached, and my love for animals, carried on with them.

Jaredamy said...

I really enjoyed reading this, and totally agree. Last night I had a rough night with my husband, and thing got pretty bad, and meaningless stuff was said. Today started a new day, and if I were to die I wouldn't want to be remembered for being mean, and rude-I would want people to remember me for the good, and not the bad!! Beautiful thought as always :)

Marieesbella said...

Thank you for this post! This is a real eye opener for me, I am against posting on FB in anger might have said a couple of silly things, and now regret them. You are right I need to think about what I say because it could be my last words!

Unknown said...

this really makes you thing about what you do. I know I watch what I post in social media as you never know what people see and the last thing you might post.

Unknown said...

I would want people to remember me in a nice way. You never know.